Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Waiting and shaping

"All things come to him who waits - provided he knows what he is waiting for." Woodrow Wilson




I wrote a poem about five months ago and I just stumbled across it. It's dark and dreary. Depressing, but with a thin sliver of hope shining at its conclusion.
It's where I was half a year ago. Desperately clinging to God but not knowing when I would feel conviction in my faith again.
It was a dark and dreary time for me. Depressing, but with a thin sliver of hope.
I was happy. I loved my family and life, but spiritually I was plodding through, just trying to make it.
I accepted Christ into my heart at the tender, innocent age of four. I believed, wholeheartedly. I never doubted. Not once, not for years. When those doubts surfaced in my twenties they came at me like hungry beasts, wanting nothing more than to destroy my faith, destroy me.
I'm pretty tenacious, though. When I make my mind up to do something, I do. I made up my mind to cling to what was left of my tattered faith and determined to see that spiritually dry, dusty place to its end. I knew it would end. I hoped it would be soon.
I also knew when God saw me to the end of it my faith would be stronger. My passion for Christ more centered and mature.
These last few months have been a fabulous time of growth and clarity. I understand most of the why's and I accept God had a plan for all I went through. I'm glad for it. I'm glad for that desert. I learned more about myself and Him during that time (of course, everything I learned I can now only see in hindsight. I certainly wasn't experiencing it during the time) than the preceding twenty years of  immature Christianity I had previously known.
Before I entered that place I had asked God to increase my faith. It took me a while to ask Him that because I had always heard stories of people asking for an increase in faith and finding themselves facing various trials and tribulations. I didn't want trials and tribulations. I didn't want pain so I never asked Him to increase my faith. I thought I was safe but trial and tribulation came my way, regardless. I figured, about eight years ago, that I could face trials and tribulations without an increase of faith or with. I decided to go with an increase and braced myself for what I assumed was an inevitable coming of hardship.
Instead, He covered his face and I felt as though my faith was lost.
Now, though, I see.
I see where I had been and where He wanted me to be.
I see that the faith I thought was strong and built on a foundation of stone was only the wandering roots of a child's declaration.
I see a faith that had not really been tested, tried or shaped.
It was a child's faith and I wasn't a child any longer.
Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
God alone knows the plans He has for each one of us. We can make our own plans, even prayerfully, but the truth is that none of us can read the future. Only He is there. Only He is weaving our beautiful picture of life and He knows what we need, when we need it, so that we can see that picture finished.
He knows the plans He has for my life and, because I love Him and am faithful, He knows what needs to happen in my life so that I can finish that race marked out for me. (Hebrews 12:1-2)
Again I turn to Jeremiah.
In chapter 18 God tells Jeremiah to go to the potter's house and there God will give Him a message. Jeremiah goes and, although scripturally these verses were directed at Israel, I believe they are appropriate for all Christians.
Jeremiah obeys God and goes to the potter's house where he sees the potter shaping the pots and vessels. The potter was working on one particular piece but Jeremiah saw that it was marred. It wasn't perfect. It wasn't suiting the needs of the potter. Maybe it had a hole in it and would leak or maybe the surface wasn't smooth enough and was ugly. Maybe the handle was twisted or weak or maybe it just wasn't turning out right. Whatever the reason, the potter decides to start over and use the clay to form it into another pot "shaping it as seemed best to him." (Jer. 18:4)
That's us. Sometimes God looks at us and thinks, "Not yet. She isn't ready."
He takes our life in His hands, and because we have given ourselves over to Him, He is able to mold us. Twisting, pulling, patting, pressing...we feel it. Every bit of it but in the end we become a vessel exactly formed into what He wants. Because we were shaped we are functional, beautiful and useful. Because we were fired we are strong under pressure and we don't crack. Because we were glazed we reflect Him.
My shaping may not look like yours. Every person, their personality, calling and situation, is unique. God crafts each of us into a different vessel to be used for different purposes but, if you want an increase in faith, you will be shaped.
If you aren't your faith will remain limp, insipid and immature.
I normally don't share my poetry. It's too personal and raw, but I'm posting this poem I wrote five months ago because it so aptly demonstrates where I was.


Crows, out of nowhere.
Dirty, greasy, bug bitten
Where from?
To peck, with pointed beaks
Ever hungry for that which I
can hardly afford to sacrifice
A piece, a peck, a small scrap
Screeching banshee
here to steal my life
that which sustains my soul…
my breath.
What hinders these dark creatures?
The figure standing still?
Not stuffed is he.
Not a straw man, dumb and mute.
But living sacrifice, love manifest
To scare away the crows that steal…
Destroy.
He is here. To chase the nightmares away.

I'm not there anymore. 

Thankfully that figure has always been with me. Even when I couldn't see Him, He was there covering me with His grace and shielding me from darkness. 

"Do you not know?
   Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
   the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
   and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
   and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
   and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
   will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
   they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint.
"
                                 Isaiah 40:28-31

No comments:

Post a Comment