Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Salt and light


I know what I’m about to say will ruffle feathers.
Just hear me out, though. Ready? Okay, here it is…
As Christians we are not supposed to look like the world.
Phew. I did it. I stated a fundamental fact that so many Christians seem to overlook.

Romans 12:2 says, Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I can’t tell you how many times I have been surprised by people stating Christian faith when their choices are very worldly. I had no idea they were set apart because they blended in so well.
Before you write me off as just another “judgmental Christian” let me remind you that as a believer I am bound by the precepts set forth in the Bible. I am allowed to judge what behavior is sinful because God first did. I’m not arbitrarily making up rules. The rules have already been spoken.

In 1 Corinthians Paul addresses a situation where a man was sleeping with his father’s wife (I’m assuming his step-mother, not his birth mother). Paul says to set this man outside the body of believers. He goes on to say not even to eat with those that claim to be a sister or brother in the Lord and yet continues to pursue sexual immorality, drunkenness, greed, idolatry, slander, or swindling. (1 Corinthian 5:9-11). Keep in mind, though, that in the next two verses he goes on to say that this judgment is only for those that claim to be Christian. He says God will judge the wicked outside the church.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

When I asked my pastor about this scripture passage he said he believes Paul is talking about those that claim Christ yet point blank refuses to address the sin in his life.  He is in complete rebellion to God.
The difference between sinning, which we are all guilty of doing on a near daily basis, and living in sin is one of repentance and acceptance.  I have a terrible time with my tongue. I’ve recognized this since I was a teenager. I’ve been praying and repenting for YEARS. Each day is a new opportunity for me to walk in righteousness- most days I fail yet I still repent. I know I have this problem. I know it is a sin issue. I know Satan knows my weakness and every opportunity he gets he offers me a chance to indulge in this particular weakness. Here is the thing though, I HATE it! I absolutely hate this sin. Every time I sarcastically respond to someone, disparage my husband because of frustration or put someone down in an attempt to deflect attention I am convicted. The Holy Spirit within me recoils when I sin and I feel it. Deep down in my spirit, I feel the spirit of God rejecting the thing I struggle with. Since I’ve recognized this sin in my life I have been working to divulge myself of it. I try and pray and ask the Lord for grace and mercy.
This is why I do not understand Christians that openly live in sin and seem to feel no remorse, conviction or desire to set things straight. I hate sin. It is disgusting to me because the Holy Spirit dwells within me. God cannot abide sin. If we are truly His child and have accepted his living presence into our lives how can we?

In Elizabeth Elliot’s book, Discipline The glad surrender, she says, “To be a Christian in New Testament terms is to be a disciple. There are no two ways about it. We have a Saviour who has forgiven and saved us from the penalty of sin. Most of us would happily settle for that. But he died to save us also from our sins, many of which we love and hate to part with.”

He died to save us FROM our sins. We don’t have to walk in sin. Many people in the world think Christians are foolish. 

1 Corinthians 1:8, For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 

They think our values are antiquated, lofty and stupid. They wonder why we try to appease an angry, judgmental God but what they don’t realize is that my desire to conform my life more and more into the image of Christ is His stamp on me. I don’t want to sin. I don’t want to look like the world because the world doesn’t look like my Jesus.

There is another problem with people claiming to be Christian and molding themselves to the standards of this world. How in the world is anyone going to know they are a Christian? We are surrounded by hurting people that want something else. They want something different from what they have so far been offered. If you look just like them what is going to attract them to Christ in you?
Your acceptance of their sin? I don’t think so. Watering down the gospel so it is palatable to the strongholds in people’s lives isn’t exactly what Christ died for. He shed His blood on the cross so that we can have POWER over the darkness- not embrace it.
They need to know they can be free! Despite the fact that each and every one of us is stained from birth, despite the fact that we will never be enough we can, by accepting the message of the gospel, find freedom from eternal death and sin.
We need to be different because they need us to be different.

Again I want you to read Romans 12:2, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

What is good, acceptable and perfect? Getting drunk with some friends at a bar? Gossiping about the youth leader? Dressing immodestly and trying to draw attention to body parts only a spouse should see? Using foul language as a matter of course?

I’ve seen this new-age type feel good message being regurgitated throughout the body. The power of the gospel is being castrated and we are being offered a weak, insipid Jesus. Everyone is afraid of offending someone and so they say nothing that can possibly offend. The problem, though, is that in the process of trying not to hurt someone’s feelings you also cut out the life-changing aspect of the message.
Don’t forget- our lives need to be changed. When we were sinners, wallowing in the muck of the world, hopeless and dying we saw the truth of the gospel and realized we needed a change. We needed Jesus, the one that can change us.
I’m not saying we should picket the funerals of military men and blame terrorist attacks on lifestyles the USA seems to endorse.  That does little good and only serves to ignite the anger of those living in the world.
What we can do and should be doing is living a life set apart.

Matthew 5:15 “Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
Matthew 5:13 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

Let’s be salt and light. Set apart. Different. Living in this world but not a part of it. We know what eternity has in store and if we want to snatch people from the clutches of darkness we need to give them the opportunity to notice we have the answer.
Who will they turn to if they think you are just like them?

1 comment:

  1. Hate the sin, love the sinner. For all of us are sinners, and if we say we are not, we call God a liar. Dealing with sin is the hardest journey anyone can travel. Peter denied Christ three times, and then when the rooster crowed Jesus looked straight into Peter's eyes. By professing Jesus with our mouths, but excusing ourselves when we do things we know are contrary to His teachings. It's this kind of dual life that gives unbelievers the "hypocrite" excuse. No matter how hard we try, sometimes it takes that special word, act, or action to get us to finally drop our sin at the foot of the cross and walk away, and never look back. A very thought provoking reading my first born daughter, thank you...

    ReplyDelete